The Music Budget Is Cut Somewhere Else Today As I Stand In A Crumbling Theatre
The dialogue is low
The excitement running high
The audience aglow
For the first of songs to fly
Crash! The hallowed cimbalom
Sounds throughout the hall.
The reckless pounding of the drum
Rumbles out the prophet’s call
The dancing starts at five past two
The filming starts at nine
The arts secluded to this room
Cemented in a rhyme
Perhaps I’m pessimistical
Perhaps a needless fear.
Try naming five youth musical
I’ll name you “arts budget disappeared”
They don’t recognize a quarter note
or treble clef today.
A student said to me, I quote
“Why would I need that, anyway?”
In years to come some future folk
Will look on “auditorium”
As something sacred to our time
Lost, in memoriam.
Taxes raised and spirits fallen.
Notes that once brought ecstasy
now fall upon these deafened columns
and offer me no clemency.
The Trifecta challenge for this week was “
b archaic : swoon
- Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
- You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
- The word itself needs to be included in your response.
- You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
- Only one entry per writer.
- If your post doesn’t meet our requirements, please leave your link in the comments section, not in the linkz.
- Trifecta is open to everyone. Please join us.
This week’s word is ecstasy. “